Saturday, September 7, 2013

Giving a little bit back

Sep. 7, 2013
4 months ago, things were not going well as I was in the ICU at Park Nicollet.  Now, because of the doctors, nurses at Park Nicollet and a whole lot of prayers, I'm doing great.  Ria and I decided that we should give a little bit back.  We joined "Marathons of Hope", a 5K Run/Bike/Walk that is held by the Frauenschuh Cancer Center every year.

 Each team gets sponsors to support cancer patients and their families through their journeys, much in the same way that I have gone through my own journey.  Giving back (even if it is a little bit) feels great.  Thank you to my sponsors (about US$500 worth!)

Luis and I joined the Bike Ride portion.  I ran into Dr. Mark Menge, my oncologist.  He mentioned that it's great that the we were here given the condition I was in just 4 months ago.  I proudly wore the red bandana that is worn by "survivors" of cancer.

I consider myself a survivor now and will forever be grateful for having made it through my cancer journey for now.  We rode around Lake Calhoun and Lake of the Isles, two beautiful lakes right in the middle of Minneapolis.  I used to live on Lake of the Isles 17 years ago and one of my favorite activities was always to ride around the lakes.  4 months ago, I didn't think I would get that opportunity again, yet here I was, following Luis and our group of marathon riders.  What a wonderful morning!
At the start line.  Note the red bandana!

With Dr. Mark Menge, my oncologist









In front of Lake Calhoun



3 comments:

  1. Love it! And a family event, no less :)

    -Carmina del Fonso

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buddy, great to hear how great you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been praying for you.

    ReplyDelete