Friday, November 22, 2013

Days 1-5

Tuesday, Nov. 19

Wow, I'm tired.  It's only 10am in the morning but I'm already wiped out.  Actually, when I woke up, I felt wiped out.  I don't want to keep lying down because that's going to make me light headed.  But, getting up and evening going to the kitchen, sit down and eat something takes a lot out of me. 

Eating isn't as easy as it used to be.  For anyone who has had a bone marrow transplant, I now know what it means for food to not taste like anything.  Fantastic pizza tastes like paper and glue.  Eggs taste like cotton.  Sausage, well, I can't really describe it.  But I have to eat, otherwise, my really limited strength will become even more limited.  Need the Protein.  I'm the Special K Protein man right now.  Special K protein drinks, protein breakfast bars.  I can taste the chocolate and strawberry flavors enough to enjoy them but it's actually very tiring to eat!

Now the good news.  This is exactly how I'm supposed to feel 5 days after transplant.  If I didn't feel this tired, it would be abnormal.  My doctors and nurses all tell me that I'm doing great, even though I don't feel great.  My blood tests show results exactly what they're supposed to be, i.e., white blood cell counts going down.  Hemoglobin is steady (thanks to a blood transfusion on day 2).  No infections, fluid retention, other complications now.  I'm doing great!  But, not feeling great.  A bit of a weird paradox in that I'm supposed to feel this awful in order to feel really good later on.

I cannot complain for one second.  God has given me my life back.  The storm is passed and we're just waiting for the garden (i.e, my blood cells) to grow again, healthier and cancer free.  While lying around this morning, I asked Ria to pray with me.  Big surprise, after saying the rosary, I felt much better (i.e,. I'm actually writing this post sitting up).  Call the rosary a required item on the med list.

Thank you all for your support and prayers.  We would not have made it this far without you!

All the best,
Buddy and Ria 

No comments:

Post a Comment