Friday, November 22, 2013

Days 6-7-8

Friday, Nov. 22

It's a level of fatigue that I can't describe, only that I have instances where I can barely hold myself upright.  Walking even 10 meters is not exactly easy.  After taking a shower, I feel like I've done a 400 meter sprint.    The fatigue comes from my neutrophils (white blood cell count) dropping almost to zero by day 7.  I'm walking and talking in slow motion. 

The doctors needed to run some further tests as I came up with a fever (neutropenic fever, caused by the Chemo).  They want to make sure I don't have any form of infection.  So yesterday, they took a chest x-ray (negative), blood cultures also haven't shown anything yet.  I do have a mild problem in my gut but new medication is now fixing it.  Hopefully (as in 9 out of 10 cases of neutropenic fever) there isn't anything wrong but I certainly don't want to be that 1 case. 

Now for some additional happenings.  Ever since the Chemo infusions (9 days ago), I haven't been able to shave.  Per doctor's orders, there's a danger I may nick myself and since I don't have white blood cells, it would be really difficult to heal.  In the meantime, my facial hair has been growing.  I've never had a moustache or beard before.  I tried it for a few days in Spain last year but it didn't really work.  For some reason, post Chemo, it came out in full force!  The doctors then noted that if I wanted to, I could use an electric razor which wouldn't nick or cut.  I couldn't take it anymore!  Ria went to Target and picked up a Philips/Norelco 1150 wet/dry electric razor.  Yes, it doesn't shave like a Gillette Fusion Proglide but hey, it works well enough!  My face feels new again.  It's one of those little things that help us to get through this!

Also on a lighter note, NONE of my hair has fallen out.  Not one.  What is up with that?  I had assumed post-chemo that it would all fall out.  Now, 2 weeks getting my head shaved, my hair is growing back with a vengeance!  OK, back to the doctors.  "It's different for everyone.  It may not fall out until you start engrafting (Day 14)".  Oh well, in the meantime, I'll live with the shaved head look.  It's starting to grow (literally) on me.

Thank you to everyone for your support and prayers!  We are all going to make it through this and see a better tomorrow.  Just a few more weeks.  Love to all.


1 comment:

  1. It is Movember Mondo, all the more reason not to shave! You are doing awesome! You look great and strong! Keep it up and know we are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete